We are so passionate about high-quality protein at Impact Kitchen. And we believe in the health benefits of getting enough protein each day through a variety of different sources, like bacon, beans and turkey, all used in this high-protein turkey chili. (This dish is available at Kitchen Hub Food Hall.)
Turkey Chili Recipe
Makes 10 servings
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 20 ml olive oil
- ¾ lb sliced bacon, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 2 medium white onions, ½ inch dice
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp chili spice
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 lb ground turkey
- 4 stalks celery, ½ inch dice
- 2 large carrots, ½ inch dice
- 1 large sweet potatoe, ½ inch dice
- 1 375-ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can (150ml) tomato paste
- 1 350-ml can black beans, rinsed
- 1 350-ml can kidney beans, rinsed
- 3 zucchini, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 l chicken bone broth
- Sour cream, as desired
- Pickled onion, garnish
- Lightly coat the pot with olive oil. Heat to medium-high and render chopped bacon until lightly crispy, around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium and sautee onions and garlic in bacon grease for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add chili spice, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper and cook 3 to 5 minutes until aromatic.
- Add turkey and lightly brown while breaking up clumps; around 10 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots and sweet potato, and cook 5 to 8 minutes, until veggies begin to soften.
- Add diced tomatoes, beans, zucchini and bay leaf. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Mix ingredients together, and keep breaking up turkey.
- Add broth, then bring up to a boil for 10 mins. Reduce to a simmer for a further 60 to 90 minutes, until sweet potatoes have broken down and consistency has thickened. Stir every 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let chili cool for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve with sour cream and pickled onions.